Saturday 27 October 2018

In All My Years...


.....this has never happened.

Dropped my car off for an oil change.  Place called Tire Kingdom.


A while later, the guy calls me up.

"Uhhh...about your car.  [Oh, oh, I'm thinking.]  You don't need new oil.  You've only driven 25 miles since the last change [car just sits in the hot sun for six months] .  The colour and viscosity are good,  I'd feel bad changing it."

Wow "You don't need an oil change", said nobody ever.

Of course, when I went in to pick it up, the guy says, "But you do need new tires."

Ba da boom!  Of course!  It's a tire place.

He said, they've got "tire rot".  [I'm thinking "tire rot"?  Is that like when a mechanic tells you your engine needs a new Johnson Rod? It's like crap they just make up?]



Post Script
So I got home and Googled "Tire Rot".


"Tire dry rot is also called sidewall cracking. Comes from sitting in the hot sun with little to no activity."

Bingo.  Well, what do you know.

I looked for the URL reference, it was "Tirekingdom.com".

Of course.

Actually what I think I found was their training manual.

"Anybody that comes in.  With an old beater.

You tell 'em, 'tire rot'.

And you say it with a straight face."



6 comments:

Rob Greenfield said...

I think sitting in the hot sun for 6 months would make me rot too, lol.

Patricia said...

FYI....in most cases, tires with dry rot are probably not safe to drive on. Around town, you may have a little time before you need to replace the tires. Once the cracks reach the cords of the tires, the heat of long distance driving will cause the rubber to expand and the tires to actually break apart while driving.

And that will probably happen when you're on the way to the airport... to pick me up...

Rob Greenfield said...

HAHAHA Pat

Urban Cowboy said...

You are the reason I replaced them!

Patricia said...

Oh, you did replace them! :) Thank you! Love ya!

Unknown said...

You need to get tire covers like you see on rvs that are setting for a while. Stays off the tire rot!