Friday 31 May 2013

This Explains A Lot

Wanted to check out the weather for a nearby city.

So typed in "Maple, Ontario" to the Weather Network search engine.

And as you can see, it came back, "Do you mean East Mapleton, Nova Scotia?"

I'm thinking, Huh?  Noooo.....I don't.

"Oh, how about Maple, Ontario?"

Uhhh, yeah, that's what I  typed in.  (I actually typed in "Maple, Ontario" and it abbreviated it to "Maple ont".

But that's not bad compared to some other searches.
 
Here I changed one letter (okay, and added one) and asked for Naples, Florida.

It came back - after first telling me there's no Florida Ontario - twice, "Do you mean Naples, Alberta?"

"No? How about Florida Paulista, Brazil, then?"

"Ahhh, you must mean Floridablanca Columbia, right?"

It wasn't until its fourteenth attempt did it get "Naples, Florida".  But not before going through every other state with a Naples.

"Well why didn't you say so?"

No wonder these guys can never get the forecast right if this is the kind of logic they are using for something as simple as a name search.

"I'd like the weather for tomorrow."

"Do you mean next November?"

"How about last March?"

"Tomorrow?  No idea.  How about Naples, Florida?"

No comments: