Saturday 21 August 2021

Great Life?

 So this guy, Lindsey Buckingham, has a pretty amazing life, right?


Very successful musician, member of world-renowned band Fleetwood Mac, multimillionaire.

And also dated fellow superstar Stevie Nicks. Every guy I knew wanted to date Stevie Nicks.


But be careful what you wish for. 

Whereas some girlfriends may get pissed off at you and not talk to you for a couple of days, or yell at you or make you sleep on the couch, Stevie Nicks would write songs. Very popular songs. All about what a douchbag you are. And not just one or two..

So in 1974 when they were just starting out they had just released their first album together, Buckingham Nicks. It didn't get very good reviews. 


So Lindsey dropped Stevie off at a cabin up in Aspen and he went touring with another band. 

Well that really pissed her off.

She was just 25 and didn't know if he was coming back, or whether they had a future together in music, or whether she had a future in music.

So she was looking out the cabin window at all the snow on the mountains and came up with an idea for a song. I'm sure you know it; Landslide.

So just taking a few lines from the song:


I've been afraid of changing 'cause I built my life around you,

You took my love and you took it down. 

If you see my reflection in the snow covered hills 

Would the landslide bring you down? 

Well would it, punk?

Maybe one of those lines is mine.


So in 1976 I guess he pissed her off again and she wrote the song Dreams. 


Some of the lines from that song;

"So here you go again you say you want your freedom, 

Well who am I to keep you down. 

Players only love you when they're playing,

So you can kiss my ass." 

Again maybe one of those lines I may have added.

Now maybe he's not so easy to live with either, but I bet you she would be a challenge. Because every day when you get up maybe you go, "....Morning? Oh, are you writing another song?" 

Maybe just take your pillow and head down to the couch now. Avoid the rush.

Probably her most scathing song about him is one called Silver Springs, about unrequited love. The chorus from this song includes;

"I'll follow you down till the sound of my voice haunts you

Just give me a chance, then you'll never get away from the sound of the woman that loves you."

And to make this more interesting, she sings this song on stage with Buckingham standing beside her, playing guitar. 


And when she comes to those two lines in the song she turns and just stares right at him. 

And then she lets him have it.


Yikes!

He just kind of shrugs and continues singing and playing the guitar. Although bit of an uneasy look in his eyes.


And this happens every concert.

As Dr. Phil might say, So how's that working for ya?


One of my all time favourite bands, though.



No comments: