Sunday 27 May 2007

Nice Goosy


Out for a walk along the river yesterday (what's that expression - make hay while the sun don't get blocked by snow). Came across some Canada Geese, and their goslings.

They look cute, but that can change quickly. Taking this picture was as close as Mom wanted me to get. She stopped, looked at me, then started coming my way. So, being the seasoned urban wrangler that I am, I ran away.

The reason was, I was at a zoo one time and took a shortcut across a field. A field with some Canada Geese. Unbeknownst to me, I was cutting between the goose and her nest.

As she came towards me, I veered away. Unfortunately my veering took me closer to her nest. Which then quickly took her closer to me. Running with wings spread.

To end the story, it wound up with a bit of a fight. Her wings slapping at me, and me kicking at her. And that's seldom a good position to be in at a zoo.

You know who everybody's rooting for. I was almost expecting to hear a little girl say "Daddy, why is the man kicking the goosy?" "He's trying to save his life, dear, look away."

No comments: