Saturday 29 August 2009

Beginning Of The End?

Oh sweet mama, what are we coming to?

[FYI; this is a picture of a stopped, non-working escalator.]

I got on this thing and had to walk down. No big deal.

Until about two steps down, there was a long line up. Of women trying to navigate down a stopped escalator. These women, and there were several of them, obviously have never walked down stairs before, let alone a stationary escalator.

Each step for them was a baffling nightmare. Each woman, hunched over, grasping the rubber hand rail, slowly, slowly, descending the metal labyrinth. I had to balance on one foot as I was walking it was so painfully slow.

I wish I'd gotten a picture of this, I certainly had the time.

Now, I'm no Mountain Man Joe (I'm the Urban Cowboy for crying out loud) but these are not the women I want to be stranded with when the power goes. Or the ice storm hits. Or the espresso maker doesn't work.

I fear society is slowly grinding to a halt. One painful step at a time.

No comments: