Saturday 23 August 2014

I'm Back, Baby!

These condo development proposals usually get me going at the best of times.

But this one really caught my eye (got my goat, burned my butt).

The block may not look like much.

But nearly 200 years ago, it was called Victoria Row and was the fashion centre of a growing Toronto. A Toronto starting to feel its oats.

This was the Bloor St. of its day.

This magnificent Victorian, Second Empire beauty set the standard in Toronto for retail elegance.  There is even a statue of Queen Victoria adorning the second floor of the centre shop.

Built in 1840 and modified with the Second Empire treatments in the 1870's....

...the little guy in the middle is the only building still intact of the five.  

Although stripped of much of its fine architectural detail.

This shows him where he used to be.

[I guess he is still there, although you would never know if it, crammed in among all the other buildings.]

Anyway, this proposal is for a - what else - 47 storey condo.

And this editorial comment sums up my opinion exactly.




No comments: