Monday 10 November 2014

Only In Ontario......


.....this type of sign would not be allowed.

Too many politically correct mambiers would be outraged at this "racist" name.

Down in Florida, not so much.

"Hell, I don't know what half this crazy ass shit you people eat is.  But I'll sell it to you. Cheap."

And because you can't get much more than Dorito's and Kraft Dinner in some of the supermarkets here, I do shop at a few local stores.

For the faint of heart, this Latina store has a little more palatable name.

And they are very helpful.  I told one guy I was looking for a spicy Thai pepper sauce (that I couldn't find in the local Pic'n'Save) so he took me to the Thai section, but no luck.  Finally after about ten minutes of searching he found it, in the Chinese section.



He said, "This is Chinese, not Thai."

I said, "Hell. Chinese, Thai, all this crazy ass Asian stuff looks the same to me."

Okay, I didn't say that, but I knew he thought that's what I was thinking.



Last week I found a can of Jalapeño Peppers.  $1.25, I'll give it a go.

At the cashier I say, "I've never tried these before.",  obviously assuming that because she's Latin, she has tried everything in the store.

I said "Not sure how to cook them.  May not like them."

She just stared at me and said, "If you don't like 'em.....don't buy any more."

I said, "Uhhh....that's good advice."

Then she said, "If you like 'em....buy some more."

 I said, "That's also good adv....."

"Now get the Hell outta here."

Okay, she didn't say that.  But I knew that's what she was thinking.

You don't get much small talk for $1.25.


P.S. When I got home I opened the can.  It was full of Jalapeños!

The most I've ever bought before is 1. I don't know how many you can eat in a sitting, but it will be a while before I buy more, even if I do like them.

I am getting caught up on my reading, though.  [Ed. note: Great....toilet humour.]



4 comments:

Rob Greenfield said...

get fresh jalopenos

Urban Cowboy said...

Yea, they're good. But these are marinated Jalapeños. Hoo baby!

RainbowMoonbeam said...

Well, a) you would've found the first item in the Asian grocery store, and b) you don't remember eating that whole plate of jalapeno peppers that took two days out of your vacation...where was that? DR? :)

Urban Cowboy said...

I believe you are correct, RMB. I also tried the controversial LCI (Liquid Cooled Innards)therapy, without success.