Saturday 4 June 2022

Where's The Buzz, Tell Me What's Happening

50 years ago this September.  What happened?

Paul Henderson scored......


..."The Goal!" ....that all Canadians will remember forever.

That got us out of a very deep hole the Canadian team had dug for themselves during the Canadian leg of the 1972 Canada/Russia Summit Series.

This was the series Canadians thought would be a cake walk over the hated commies.

But the Ruskies embarrassed us on home ice, taking three of the first four games.


We were in shock.  And angry at Team Canada.

And no one will forget the interview that Phil Esposito gave after Game 4 in Vancouver.  A listless 5-3 loss for Canada.

That was one angry dude.  And angry at Canadians for booing his guys.  On home ice!


Espo lit into the fans.  

"We're disillusioned and disappointed. We cannot believe the bad press we've got, the booing we've got in our own building," he barked.  

"I'm completely disappointed. I cannot believe it. Every one of us guys ...we came because we love our country. Not for any other reason. We came because we love Canada."

And I think that's when he decided to take Team Canada on his shoulders and will them to win.



He took on all comers.


Whether they were dressed in red....


...or in black and white.

But in the end it was Paul Henderson's miraculous last minute goal that won the series.


I remember it like it was yesterday.

But it wasn't yesterday.  It was 50 years ago!

50 years ago.  September 1972.

And I've heard zero talk of a celebration?  Come on, trot out some of the old stars.  Have Don Cherry interview them. Replay some of the games.

Come on, man!

7 comments:

Rob Greenfield said...

start planning the parade before all who were involved are no longer here

Urban Cowboy said...

Yeah, these guys are all around 80 now.

northerndreamer said...

Couldn't agree more!!

Gordon Tripe said...

Well said. Nice presentation of some iconic photos.

Urban Cowboy said...

Thanks, man, we were all part of it.

Rob Greenfield said...

I remember listening to one game in Burton's Chemistry class, I was using ear plugs and Burton kept asking for updates

Urban Cowboy said...

Ha ha. I was on the bus taking the volleyball team to a game and I had a transistor radio, giving updates to the team. Near the end of the game, I herd Henderson's name and some noise. I said, "Oh no, I think Henderson got a penalty." The I said, "No, Henderson scored!" And...the...crowd...went...wild.