Sunday 8 June 2008

"A" For Effort

In Toronto every year they have a huge festival/parade called Carabana. In Calgary it called Caribfest. And the poor guys held it yesterday.

Whereas the Toronto parade literally takes eight hours to pass by one spot (it moves at a.....uhhhh....relaxed pace), what you see here is the Caribfest parade. Yup. About one block.

Now the weather likely had a bit of a dampening effect (pun intended) but it's not the only reason for the one-blocker.

A couple of year ago I saw the parade go by my window - a full two blocks long this time! I went out and asked one of the paraders, what's going on. He said, have you heard of Caribana? Well, this is the Calgary version.

I said, Oh I guess with the recent increase in Calgary population, this is fairly new. He said, no, we've been doing it 25 years. Uh huh......

I guess some things catch on. And some things don't.....

No comments: