Thursday 15 April 2010

Pause To Reflect

I didn't realize that my office looked out on to the Highway of Heroes.

Until yesterday.

When I noticed flashing police cruisers had cut off access to the southbound Don Valley Parkway.

Soon the entire parkway was eerily empty.

Initially I had thought there had been an accident on the bridge over the DVP due to the ambulance - left in picture above.

But then I noticed Canadian flags draped over the bridge.

And then a silent convoy of police sentinels passed.

[You can just see them between the trees heading left to right in my crummy photo. Double click to get a better view.]

Then the family of the fallen soldier.

Then the fallen soldier.

Very moving. Even just standing in my office.

This same ritual is carried out at every bridge along the entire length of The Highway of Heroes. Almost 200 kilometres. From Trenton to Toronto.

Firefighters, police officers, paramedics park their vehicles, lights flashing.

Ordinary citizens join them, draping flags across the bridges.

All standing at attention, paying silent respect.

As I said, very moving.

1 comment:

Gord Tripe said...

A wonderful tribute, but still not enough for what the soldiers have given.