Tuesday 14 June 2011

A Walk In The Park

The retireder I get, the further I must venture beyond my four safe walls to see something new.

And, man, there is a lot to see in TO, tucked neatly away below the level streets.

You just have to know where to look, as I found out while trying to locate Craigleigh Gardens Park.

I thought I had found it, and wandered behind an apartment building.

Only to find it was the gardened backyard of a day care centre.

With many, many mothers i) dropping off their bundles of joy and ii) giving me the evil stink eye.

Luckily I could read their minds "What is a young - okay, middle aged - okay, what is an old, retired guy doing wandering around behind a day care centre?"

In a proactive measure (I still got the corporate lingo, baby!) I approached one and asked "Ha ha, do you know where Craigleigh-Park is?"

From her reaction she apparently thought i) Craigleigh-Park was a made-up word and ii) if she could get to her cell phone, I would be in safely the back of a cruiser very soon.

Whew - Google Maps wasn't lying! Found it!

Either that or the cops "Dump him in a ravine" line now makes a lot more sense.

Regardless of how I got here, down we go into the deep, cool ravine that runs essentially all through the heart of Toronto.

Beautiful. And, without all those annoying babies and mothers.

This is a park within the Don Valley Brickworks property.

Where the bricks for many (most?) of Toronto's buildings in the early 1900's were sourced.

But what that's over the horizon?

OMG!

It's Condozilla! The one that's blocking the view on my balcony!

See recent post "Holy Crapamolie!" for another view of this....thing.

It still has about 15 floors to go. There goes the pristine countryside.

Okay, maybe not all so pristine, but still.....it don't fit.

Now, stay tuned for the next post - of the shocking return journey.

You will not believe your eyes!

3 comments:

Rob Greenfield said...

Dis you ride your bike there?

Urban Cowboy said...

No way, Jose, all on foot.

Next time you are in town, take an extra day and we'll go hiking.

Rob Greenfield said...

no, biking