Saturday 25 October 2014

Yowza!


This is a composite picture of a giant sequoia named The President.

I had to stand way, way, way back to get it.

So yeah, it may seem to look fairly large.  But it's not - it is huge!

To give it scale, you can see one guy at the bottom in a red jacket.

Another (brave) guy is standing on a branch, almost at the top, also in a red jacket.

It is 250 feet tall and 27 feet in diameter at the bottom.

But I think the most impressive thing is that it is 3,200 years old.

They know this because after they cut it down they counted the rings. 

At least I'm pretty sure that's how they knew the age.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you must have been standing in the same place as the photographers who took 126 photos to get this photo: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2568138/Extraordinary-length-shot-President-one-largest-trees-Earth.html

Anonymous said...

And an estimated 2 billion leaves!! Not sure if you had the resolution on your phone camera to capture them all.

Urban Cowboy said...

Actually I was sanding a little further back. That's why I didn't need 126 photos! I told them "Better angle back here." but they didn't listen.