Sunday 17 January 2016

Holy Freakin' Toto, Dorothy!


About 5:15 this morning, woke out of a deep sleep to hear a weird, horn sound.  Sounded kinda of like my fire alarm, but nothing I've heard before.  Like an old fashioned car horn, "Ahoooooga"!

And it was coming from beside right my head.  My phone. 

I thought, what drunken friend is texting me at five in the morning!

Then I looked the text - only five words;

"Tornado Warning!  Take Shelter Now!"


Holy bleep!

Rain was pounding and the wind was howling.

I was worried I was about to be staring God in the face if I lost my roof.  Not the way I envisioned meeting Him.  "How's it going?  You should go to church more often."

After I changed my pajamas and got the TV working (had lost power for a while it) was 5:34am.

The lower right corner lets you know a Tornado Warning is in effect for the area outlined in red.

No shit, Sherlock!


If that red warning area is hard to see (it is seared into my brain) I've enlarged it, above.


And to let you know where the Urban one was cowering, it was (still is, luckily) the little blue dot above the "p" in Naples.

The only saving grace of this was that this storm was movin'!

The TV anchors said it was traveling at over 60 miles per hour! 

One big, bad Mama!


But aside from some trees branches down, I was in the pool an hour and a half later.  (Eye of the what?)

And all I had to do was fish out one lawn chair and one very soggy gecko.  And a few electrical wires.  Just kidding - I left them.

And although geckos have a propensity to bolt when you get within about five feet of them, this little guy just sat on the side of the pool, staring at me.

His head and paws (?), hands/legs/arms? were propped up on a tiny concrete ledge.

I poked him in the nose and said "Go on".  He just sat there, staring.

But after a few laps, he was gone.

And slowly neighbours, like Prairie dogs, cautiously starting coming out of their lairs.

"Did you get that text?  Oh my my my!"  (We have a lot of mid-westerners here.)

But now the sun is shining and the world is still turning.

And I'm guessing the next time that gecko gets a text, he won't be taking shelter in the pool.  Oh my my my.....

2 comments:

Rob Greenfield said...

I had no idea you lived in tornado alley. Sunshine, beer and beaches was my impression of your Nirvana.

Urban Cowboy said...

Me neither. I was told we don't get the real bad ass ones that Oklahoma and Kansas get, but definitely get our share.