Saturday 14 February 2009

Going Over To The Dark Side

Yes, it's true - I did it. I went to a yoga class. I'll let that sink in.

Obviously nothing else I have done has fixed my knee, so this is how desperate I've gotten.

I went to a physioterrorist, who, after poking and prodding me, said this will be like turning a board into a balloon filled with water. I thought to myself "nutbar".

But she said we all start out with our joints and muscles very limber and supple. Like little seven year old girl gymnasts. And over the years, the many years, they stiffen up.

So think of turning your joints, muscles, tendons, etc. from a board to a water balloon. I said, so I'm like a board? She said, not a petrified board. Ohhh...thanks a lot.

She said, she can help, but she can't do it all.

So, off to yoga it is.

I was worried I'd be the only old guy in a class with all 25 year old little hard bodies. Maybe worried isn't the right word. Hoping is a better word.

But there were three guys in our 50's and another couple of 30ish guys and only three girls. None 25. What's up with that?

But the instructor was another story. And get this, you are supposed to stare at her. I am not kidding. As she does her poses and moves.

She would even make you look. "As I do this move, look her at my bottom, the way Jim has been doing the whole class." Huh?

But it was pretty interesting. I don't think you're supposed to fall over in yoga, but she said that's okay. The 50's guys all smiled reassuringly.

So I think I'm in the right class. Now excuse me......

Eeeeeeeffff....
Eyeeeeeeeeeee....
Whirrrrrrrrrrr the kiiiiiing of the jungle! [With apologies to the cowardly lion.]

2 comments:

Rob Greenfield said...

You go, Jimmy.

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking of taking it up too...for my back. And cause no guys in North Bay go to it...just women.