Wednesday 4 February 2009

I HATE WINTER!

This is what I woke up to this morning.

Was in Sarnia on business and needed to be somewhere at 8am. Didn't make it.

Had to shovel just to find the door handle.

Three Hours Later
At least the interior was now warm.

Did you see the big pile of snow the plow laid up in front of my baby?

Neither did I - so that took another twenty minutes to kick all that snow away. Although by then, I did enjoy the kicking part.

This is what it looked like from the motel window the night before. I should have known something was coming. And that's not my camera just taking a crappy picture. It was crappy.

Of course, once I did get to my location (a bit late) I found that one of the equipment operators called in sick. So no work that day. They said I might as well drive back to TO.

It was about -17, snowing wildly and drifting everywhere. "Drive safely, mister" one of them called out.

I don't know how many know about Highway 402, from Sarnia to London, just south of Lake Huron. 4 denotes that this is one of the 400 series of highways within Ontario, 0 denotes the amount of visibility and 2 denotes the number of minutes before I was in real trouble.

I was behind a fellow doing about 60 klicks in the blinding snow, in the one and only "visible" lane. I thought, that's just about the right pace.

So, of course, an SUV came up behind and passed me in the left lane through what was essentially a snow bank. As he went by, my windshield filled completely with snow. My ineffective windshield wipers looked back at me and said "So you can do better?"

I took my foot off the accelerator as I couldn't see anything, let alone the guy in front of me doing 60. Who by now could easily be doing 20, or less.

In my rear view mirror I now see a big 18 wheeler behind me pulling out to pass. If I couldn't see anything from the SUV spray......gulp. Now I'm starting to get really worried.

As he pulled out to pass, he slipped back into my lane, flipping my car end over end and I was killed.

Sorry, that's the alternate ending, the one running in a loop through my brain. As he pulled out to pass, an exit appeared out of nowhere. It actually was out of nowhere, as I could see nothing.

When I got off and finished kissing the snowy ground, I noticed the snow had stopped in the direction I was going. It was getting brighter and the road was completely clear.

I got back on. Then the sun poked through. So 200 yards beyond certain death, I'm wearing my sunglasses whistling a Jimmy tune.

And now this afternoon, I'm back in my little apartment, happy, happy, happy. Ain't life a pip?

5 comments:

Rob Greenfield said...

You sure do not have a winter driving car, too small, light and low to the ground. Why don't you rent an SUV when you go on trips? Esso has money for that, I'm sure - they get it back from you in the gas you buy.
Glad to hear the "brain-loop" scenario was only what it was.

northerndreamer said...

You need a 'taller' vehicle for the winter. Aerodynamics don't matter the same way in a frozen water environment.

Anonymous said...

glad you're all right man, been through too many of those myself over the last two years - Doug

Urban Cowboy said...

I know, I know, I know. The last time, I did rent a car. Actually I took the train one way and a big honking car on the way back.

But I figured, what could go wrong this time? Besides everything....

Anonymous said...

That's what age brings us - wisdom.
The wisdom to know when to get on the ride...and when to get off of it...and then of course, to get back on again. Hang in there Jimmy, it's alomost over...I hope.