Wednesday 6 July 2011

Demo By Neglect Part II - Not So Fast...

I thought this building was as good as a goner when I took these shots back in March.

It used to be a seedy "budget" hotel.

Now it's just seedy.

So based on past experience, I could guess what was next; "Time to tear 'er down!"

Then in the paper I see some fool has decided to save it and make a boutique hotel.

And I guess when I called it a "budget" hotel, I was being kind.

Apparently, Fodors or Tripadvisor rated it the dirtiest hotel in Canada.

Not necessarily the way to which you want to be referred.

Some reviews:

"Bay Street Motel is HORRID!" - ibegin.com
"After we saw the room we went down to get our money back." - ibegin.com
"Only Arnott would love this building." - sotrue.com

Well, if this turn out not to be some scam, it may be not too shabby...

Although this artist's rendering looks like all they've added is a coat of paint.

And a really cheap coat at that.

In fact, this looks worse than it does now. I guess they're going for the distressed look...

4 comments:

Gord Tripe said...

Wasn't this the hotel you were recommending to out-of-towners for your retirement party last year?

Anonymous said...

...can't wait for the follow-up blog after the reno is completed. Probably won't be able to afford a room then.

Urban Cowboy said...

It was only recommended to some, Gordo....

Rob Greenfield said...

glad I always pack a sleeping bag