Friday 23 September 2011

Julie & Mike - Day 1 (Finally!)

So after a flight to Quy Nhom, on the eastern coast, our gang of intrepid travellers finally got on their bikes and are underway!

Mike here: "Great news. We biked today all day thru thick and thin, about 70 kms!! So happy!!

Even went thru several monsoon rainstorms that we could complain about! After the last monsoon we ended up in Quang Ngai City after a 5 beer bus ride.

Awesome!!

This really is a trip like no other I've been on."


Here is a pic of Quang Ngai City where they started out.

Mike again: "We are here to support Care Canada and doing some great work in the awareness field.

We got a bus in front and a truck in back just in case all hell breaks loose, which it does regularly and then somebody jumps on the bus and chills.

Cool. You'd love it I'm telling you.

We feel like celebrities here saying chin chow (hello) and high 5'ing all the kids we see which is all the time.

Seems like they love us here. Hard to believe."


This is Quang Ngai City, where they ended up after the first day.

"Tomorrow we bike another 70 to 90 klicks depending on how things go.

We stop in Mi Lie - the scene of the big war crime.

They have a different view of that war than we lived thru and it is hard not tell it like it was for me being in RMC for the last bit of it then working with the yanks after.

Hindsight is 20 20 and the Americans sure take a beating over here.

People forget that they were instrumental in saving the free world only 20 years before and that war is hell and $hit happens.

Anyhow this is a wonderful country now and I wish I could speak the language.

Fortunately Hai our guide and supreme leader puts me in touch with Viet Cong fighters from that era and we can relate a bit but I know I gotta be careful with what I say.

I really love the people and the landscape here and will come back somehow.

We got a ton of pics to show but Julie tells me there is no way to send them now."


What?! So off to bed you guys and figure something technical out!! And then get ready for another adventure....

No comments: