Tuesday 19 October 2010

Not Bad.....

....for an attempt to preserve the façade of these older buildings.

This is an entire row of turn of the (last) century buildings and they are condo'ing one section.

And they are even trying and get the new condo section to blend in the with "old" (~five years old) section.

This building's ground floor coincidentally also happens to be my favourite lunch place, Spiga's, back when I was part of the working world. Hot veal sandwich.....mmmmm.....

And some more heritage'ish buildings in the same neighbourhood.

I went to an all candidates debate for my ward this week. To a person, I look like a piker when it comes to being pissed about the lack of heritage preservation in this city.

Guys are railing against conflicting architectural styles and about maintenance costs of early timber frame construction versus later brick & block. These guys are good.

Guess I better keep my yap shut for fear of sounding like a doofus.

[Ed. note: Ha. How's that workin' for ya?]

4 comments:

Rob Greenfield said...

keep on rantin' and ravin' - I like it.

Anonymous said...

Sort of reminds me of one of the old guys in the balcony in the Muppets show!!

Urban Cowboy said...

First comment I like. Second one, not so much....

You are referring, Anonymous, to Statler & Waldorf.

Sample; at the end of one episode Waldorf stated that he didn't care for puppets, not finding them believable. Statler responded with "I don't believe you!"

So on second thought, I guess I'm okay with that.

Krys and Paul said...

Along with your excellent architectural notes and concerns, please also spare a thought for old trees in these neighbourhoods which also fall prey to every condo-isation (is a word, yes?) and reno job. The city is putting up protection for some with clearly stated restrictions which the construction crews blithely ignore...