Friday 12 March 2010

And Then It Got Very Cold

The next few shots didn't turn out well at all.

Crossing the Bow River in Calgary as the ice starts to break up.

Now I've rafted on the Bow in summer, but would not want to try it now.

Well, actually, I'm not sure there is much difference.

We rafted on a 30+o day in July. We were like little potatoes frying in a pan in that raft. So about half way along our three and half hour tour, I popped over the side.

Ahhhhhhh......

But about five seconds later, as my body went numb, it changed to AGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Apparently that glacier fed river water never really gets too warm.

And I think the raft store woman was having second thoughts about renting us the raft after meeting me. After explaining the safety rules, etc. I asked hopefully, "Can we bring beer on the raft?"

She said, "I can't tell you that. I can't tell you to tie a string around your six pack and drop it over the side."

"Why can't you?"

My friend punched me in the arm and said, "Let's go, Einstein." I cottoned on later to the secret code in which she was talking. Message received.....

[To take a walk - or raft - down memory lane, try "Floatin and Boatin" Or, on the right there, click "2007", "July" and go to July 22 to follow along.]

Or, for you lazy sons of guns;

"Big Daddy"
"Rafta Disasta"
"Not Here"
"Ahhhhh"
"Alls Well"

[P.S. The skinny guy in the photos is not me. That's rafter #3.]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

there are blueprints drawn to divert the mighty Bow for industrial and agricultural use. With climate change and an expanding population this is inevitable.